Lady Wootton's Green

This Green outside the Queningate to the East of the Cathedral, in front of Fyndon Gate,
is the site of two buildings associated with Charles Dickens,
one of which remains (number 1, which has its own page). The other can also be seen on that page.

The Green is named after Margaret Wootton who lived in St. Augustine's Palace until she died in 1658. Previously, the Green was known as Mulberry Tree Green - the mulberry tree was closely associated with John Tradescant, a well known landscape gardener who lived there in 1615.

:

Old print of Lady Wootton's Green, showing Fyndon's Gate, the wonderful Rennaisance brick gateway to its left, and on the extreme left, some old houses destroyed in the war (on the site of the old Abbey Armoury, which for a time housed the Congregational church). On the right are other buildings destroyed in World War II.

 

Detail of the print, showing the old houses destroyed by bombing in WWII.

 

Above, a detail of the print showing the wonderful 17th century building to the right/south of Lady Wootton's Green. Also a detail of the sign on the Abbey wall showing it was used as a brewery!
This same building can also be seen in the postcard above, a view FROM Fyndon gate towards the Cathedral. That building was destroyed in the war - see below.
Above, the scene after the bombing.
Above, the south side of the Green as it is today - modern houses

 

Copyright Stephen Bax 1999-2004. Click here for terms of use.