From 1237 - 13th century friary with many later modifications
The Dominicans came to Canterbury in 1221 - they were known as Blackfriars because of the black coat they wore over their white habits.
This building - the Rectory - is one of only two buildings which survive of their friary. The other is the Guesthouse. It is built on an island in the River Stour granted to the friars by King Henry III in 1237.
The two other groups of friars in Canterbury were the Greyfriars and the Whitefriars