King William IV pub, Union Street
Public House, 1700-1750.
King William pub
Notes:

This building is probably from the time of King William IV, after whom it is named, which gives a good date.

It is about the only building in that area which is more than thirty years old - many others were destroyed in the war.

It offers an interesting contrast to the buildings connected to it, which were built much later - the 1990's - as student accommodation. That complex is called Lanfranc House

Note the filled-in window above the door, possibly the sign of a storage area with a pulley?

 

 

Copyright Stephen Bax 1999. Click here for terms of use.