This gate stood at the top of the Town at the opposite end to Westgate.
It is first mentioned in Norman times. What its name means is not
clear. Possibly it may mean 'New Gate.'
There seems originally to have been no entry into the City between
Burgate and Ridingate, and when this new gate was opened a short
cut to the Dover Road at Landsdown developed, meandering across
the fields on the line of Dover Street and Oaten Hill.
About 1470 it was rebuilt on the model of Westgate, though somewhat
smaller in dimensions.
In the 18th century, after it had lost all significance as a defence
work it became a storehouse, magazine for military stores and finally
a conduit for the water supply of the City. For some reason or other
the local garrison maintained a permanent guard on the gate. Why
is not apparent. It was probably because of an order given for some
temporary emergency and never rescinded.
The soldiers are reported as having addressed pleasantries to young
ladies passing through. As a result so the story goes, the Mayor
requested the abolition of the guard. The garrison-commander refused,
so the Mayor (in 1801) removed the gate. The conduit was removed
to the building now known as the Zoar Chapel in Burgate Lane.
Just without the gate the Canterbury Cattle Market has been held
for approaching a thousand years. The area was known through the
Middle Ages by the Saxon name of 'Rethercheap' or market for horned
Cattle market (ceased 1956)
The antiquary William Somner assigns the name to the Oaten Hill
area but he is mistaken. Recruiting was carried on before Newingate
on market days in the 18th century. Water colours of the time, such
as that by Paul Sandby, show smocked peasants walking up to accept
the King's Shilling, while their womenfolk make efforts to stop
them. The foundations of the gate still exist beneath the roadway
at the top of the Town.