Cogan House (now Zizzi's restaurant) (page 3 - woodcarvings)

13th century building, formerly a Hospital for the poor, with wonderful woodcarvings

Background | More detailed early history | Woodcarvings 1 | Woodcarvings 2 | Upstairs | Other features

 

Notes: The woodcarvings on this page are to be found by the stairs. They are apparently dated around 1520, and show the face of John Thomas (above left), who demolished the rear of the aisled hall, as well as his wife (above right)and his hobbies - see below:

The four photos above show the same carved scene of bear-baiting, one of John Thomas' hobbies.

Below are some photos of the stair area where all the carvings are placed.

The south wall, with the pelican

Above, the panelling by the stairs; below, the panelling under the stairs, with the repeated grape motif.
 

<<Go back to Cogan House front page

Go on to Cogan House woodcarvings 2>>

Go on to photos of upstairs>>

Copyright Stephen Bax 1999, 2000. Click here for terms of use.