Burgate (the Borough Gate) is mentioned in Anglo-Saxon Documents.
This structure had probably survived from Roman times.
As in the case of Northgate and Westgate, there was a parish church,
so it would seem from manuscript references of the 12th century,
on top of the gate; it was dedicated to St. Michael. Roman town
gates were sometimes constructed with a chamber above, an example
will be found in the Newport Arch at Lincoln, and it is possible
that the Roman Burgate was of this design, and that the little parish
church occupied this chamber.
In 1322 Sir Bartholomew de Badlesmere, Lord of Leeds Castle, was
involved n a violent quarrel with Edward II. and his Queen. He was
executed at Blean, one of his manors, and his head was stuck on
In 1475, the gate was rebuilt of brick by three Canterbury citizens,
John Franingham, John Nethersole and Edmund Minot. It now consisted
of two octagonal towers, with pointed roofs, connected by an arch
turned in stone. In 1548, stone was plundered from the recently
dissolved Abbey of St. Augustine over the way to repair the gate.
It appears that Alderman Twyne, Mayor 1553-4, lived in the chambers
over the arch.
Burgate was taken down piecemeal, the last substantial remnants
disappearing in 1822; some early brickwork incorporated in a nearby
wall is all that survives today above ground, though recent excavations
for a cable trench uncovered some of the footings of the northern
tower just under the surface.