Description of the Interior
The entrance to the Church is
through the porch beneath the tower. This tower, which was added
to the Church in the 14th century, is built chiefly of flint, blocks
of Kentish ragstone and lined internally with large blocks of chalk.
Church tower - two views from the south
In the belfry
hang three bells, the largest of which (7½ cwt.) dates from 1393.
It bears the inscription "Sancta Caterina, ora pro nobis" - St.
Katherine, pray for us. The second bell (5½ cwt.) was added in 1641,
but it was recast in 1829, when the third bell (4 cwt.) was added.
The bells are chimed from the steps in the porch below.
Bell ropes as seen from the floor of the tower looking upwards
On the left hand wall as one enters
the porch is the cumbrous monument to Sir John Finch, the Speaker
in the House of Commons in the reign of Charles 1, who was held
down in his chair by Hobbes and others, in order that the protest
against the infraction of the Petition of Right might be passed.
He is buried in the Church on the right hand side of the Altar.
This monument was removed from the Sanctuary to its present position
On the wall opposite is a monumental
stone about which there has been a good deal of discussion. It is
probably part of a sepulchral slab of about the middle of the thirteenth
Go to next page>